Monday, April 12, 2010

Hairstyle: Rope Braid Half-Up


Today I'm wearing a rope braid half-up. The rope braid is one of the easiest braids to make, but one of the most eye-catching. People always notice a rope braid and often are fascinated by it.

I first learned how to do a rope braid with written instructions, and I found it easy to do. I'll give some quick instructions.

Part hair you would for any half-updo. Divide that hair into two equal strands. Take the strand on the right and twist it in a clockwise direction or, in other words, to the right. Cross it over top of the left strand. You will be crossing the hair over to the left, or counter-clockwise. Now the original left strand in your new right strand. Twist this strand to the right and cross it over to the left. Repeat until the braid is done.

So in brief:

Twist to the right.
Cross over to the left.
Twist to the right.
Cross over to the left.

Keep it going until you have run out of hair to twist, tie off the end of the braid with a hair friendly tie or elastic, and you're done. Prepare to be asked about your braid.

Rope braids are also a base for a beautiful bun, which I'll post another time.

In the meantime, you can take a look at this and some of the hairstyles I've done in the past at my website, http://www.frannyslonghairstyles.com/

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this! I *finally* understand how to do a rope braid now! ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Franny. Thank you for showing these beautiful styles. I'm with you regarding the long hair at middle age. I don't look good in short hair and my hair is too wild anyway. I can actually control it better when it is longer.

    I actually feel lucky to have my hair as I started to have alopecia. I am not making this up. I then read about a girl who gave up gluten, rice, oils and became a vegan. I decided to do the same and no longer have hair loss and my scalp does not burn. I now eat veggies/fruit/beans and especially potatoes. Many people are finding that their health can change by their diet, as mine has. I hope this helps someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at lots of Rope Braid tutorials and never could do it. But your written instructions have finally made it clear. Thanks very much.
    I notice a lot of these posts are not recent. I do hope you will return to this blog and favor us with more posts. I don't do Facebook so this would be the only way I can tune in to your nuggets of wisdom. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you.