Monday, May 24, 2010

Hairstyle How-To: Gibson Tuck

I get a lot of requests for tutorials on my website for The Gibson Tuck.  It's a very easy style to do, and it can be done with hair that is shoulder length to very long hair, depending on your hair type.  Depending on your own hair, experiment with the height of the placement of the original ponytail.


(Edited on July 29, 2010 to add: As well as this photo tutorial, I now have a Video Gibson Tuck How-to, which may be helpful to people with longer hair.)                                             

1. Gather hair into a high or medium ponytail.

2. From the crown, use your fingers to separate the hair above the ponytail. You will essentially be creating a pocket for your hair.

3. Tuck ponytail into pocket. Try to distribute the hair evenly.

4. After the hair is tucked in, use a bobby pin or two to keep the elastic held down.

5. Now you have your Gibson Tuck, almost completed. However you'll notice that the part where you made your pocket still shows. We'll deal with that in the next step.

6. Now draw together the part by holding it with a barrette, a decorative comb, or any other hair accessory that will do the job.  I'm using a France Luxe tige boulet barrette in the Elysee design. It was sent to me by a dear friend as a surprise, and it suits the Gibson Tuck quite nicely.

You're done!  Here is another view of the completed style. Some people might want to do away with the flyaways, but I actually like them. It gives a romantic touch to the style. If you do want a neater look with no flyaways, brush your hair lightly with a bit of hairspray to hold them down.







13 comments:

  1. Wow that is gorgeous! Makes me wish I had enough hair to do that. But, it's too thin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, SchnauzerMom. You caught me while I was still fiddling with the placement of the photos. It's taking me a while to get the hang of this. I'm happy you like the style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a gorgeous and soft, romantic style. I love this one! Seems I've seen some tutorials with hand drawn images that seem to have like two sections of hair, a top and bottom section and I never could understand the whys of that method. This is so easy, so lovely, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I love this updo! Thanks for sharing! Your site is wonderful, I've only just discovered it. I am a proud Canadian woman who is finally going to grow my hair long. I started from a pixie and am close to shoulder, so updos are still quite new to me! I plan to visit here often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow,so easy & beautiful
    I'll try it later
    thank u so much

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Franny, I'm new too to your site. Actually I decided to take today Saturday July 24th '10 to read your entire blog.

    Thank you SO much for all the updo instructions. They are SO very easy to understand. I currently don't have enough hair for most of them, I'm still at 20", but like you've written I'm also going for quality over quantity, so patience is what I need.

    All the best to you,
    Linda
    lindabar47@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, this hairstyle looks lovely on you. I like to do it myself too, but my tucked hair always falls out/pokes out the sides, and pinning it ruins it. Do you have any tips to avoid this? My hair is about the same length as yours and slightly thicker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi and thank you. To Anonymous2, my hair is getting long enough now that I am having the same problem as you. At first, putting the ponytail higher as in the photo worked, but now I have another inch or so, and my tucked hair is showing through or poking out now with this method.

    What I do now is twist my ponytail into a bun and then tuck in the bun. I'll be making a how-to video for a Gibson Tuck for longer hair this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am wearing this right now! It worked great :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the tip about starting with a higher ponytail as your hair gets longer! That has put the Gibson tuck back in my repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really brilliant! I didn't have long hair for sooo long, because I had no idea what to do with it- my mum always had short hair, so so did we as kids- never even learnt how to do a simple ponytail! This site is so helpful and now I can do my hair (almost) like a pro :-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I stumbled upon your site quite by accident, but it was WONDERFUL to see someone devoted to LONG hair! Really, truly long, not the modern-day definition of long which seems to be at the shoulders. :( I've had long hair all my life (I'm 26) and I have no intention of cutting it. During my teenage years my signature style was two long "Indian" braids, which garnered much attention wherever I went. :) Since then it has continued to be my "one real beauty" and I enjoy trying new things with it. I have a wedding to attend next Saturday and I found some inspiration here on your site. Thanks for promoting a great cause! Here's to long, old-fashioned, feminine hair, undyed and natural, the way the good Lord created it to be!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your hair! You have some great ideas here, thanks for posting directions!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you.