Friday, April 9, 2010

Velcro Ends OR: Time to Clarify

Every few weeks, no matter how well I care for my hair, the ends tend to get a bit tangly or "velcro-like". Usually this means that there is buildup on my hair, and that means it's time to clarify and deep moisturize my hair. Today, I'm noticing velcro ends, so I think it's clarifying time.

It's easy to clarify one's hair. Some people mix a bit of baking soda with their regular shampoo to clarify. While that works well for some, it's too harsh for my hair.

Many drugstore brands have special clarifying shampoos, which is what I use. They basically strip all of the buildup from product, environment, and even some elements of hard water from the hair. I no longer use mousse, gel, or hairspray, but buildup is pretty much inevitable. Clarifying is very easy and fairly quick. I rinse my hair very well, apply clarifying shampoo and work the lather through to the ends. I leave it for about 3 minutes and rinse extremely well, making sure as I can that every trace of shampoo is gone.

Of course now my hair is stripped and exposed, so this means a very deep conditioning treatment. My favourite is a blend of moisturizing conditioner and honey. I use a mix of about 2 parts conditioner to one part honey. I warm the mixture up in the microwave for just about 15 seconds. This prevents the honey from lightening my hair, which can occur.

I apply a generous amount, (about 1/2 cup for my hair's current length). I work the conditioner through to the ends, and then I cover it with plastic. I often use a plastic grocery store bag, as it's easy to tie around my hair. I cover that with aluminum foil and cover that whole mess with a towel. It's not exactly a pretty sight, and is best done when I'm home alone. Of course, it doesn't always work out that way, so I do get a bit of teasing once in a while.

I leave the deep conditioner on for an hour at least, and then rinse it out completely. The difference in my hair is amazing afterwards. It's soft and silky and feels like new hair.

It sounds like a lot of work to some, but it's just like a spa treatment for my hair that I only need to do every few weeks.

So that's what I'll be doing either tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Now if I could just figure out what to do about these dishpan hands.

4 comments:

  1. Just found this article, wonderful......runs off to give it a go.......THANKS SO MUCH Franny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Franny,

    Thanks much for your blog. Could you please tell me what conditioner you use for this clarifying+moisturizing routine?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you.