Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Off-Topic Tuesday: Twitter and Other Things

Everywhere I look these days on the Internet, I see mentions of, or links to Twitter.  

I must be a dinosaur (perish the thought), because I'm not really sure what the purpose of Twitter is.

Facebook I understand.  It's a great way of keeping friends and family apprised of what's going on in your life and to keep up with what's going on in theirs.  The ability to create photo albums there is wonderful for sharing with loved ones who are far away. Also you can write notes, which essentially can be like blog entries or newsletters, again keeping friends and family up-to-date.

However, I'm not seeing what the appeal of Twitter is. You can only post 140 characters at a time.  That's not a lot of words to express anything terribly important.

I've looked at some Tweets by some people and I often see mentions of what they're snacking on right now, or they Tweet play-by-plays of a movie they're watching. Is this what it's really all about?  There must be more to it than that.

Clearly, I'm missing something because Twitter is extraordinarily popular.  I hope that one of these days someone will sit down and explain to me why Twitter is so important.  I might really be missing out!

On another subject altogether, I honestly can't believe that we're over half-way through May already.  This month seems to have been just flying by. This coming weekend is Victoria Day here in Canada, a long weekend, and the official kick-off to summer.  

I remember when I was young, that Victoria Day also signalled the time when you could wear white slacks, white shoes, white dresses or white skirts.  Then Labour Day in September was when the whites went back into storage.  Do people still go by those conventions today?

I had hoped to have lost some weight by now. I'm sorry to say that it has not happened.  It's not the eating that's the trouble, it's the lack of exercise. I wanted to implement a program of low-impact aerobics that I could still do when having a migraine, but the migraines have been so bad of late that I quite literally can't stomach the idea of too much movement.  

So I sit here with that extra 18 pounds or so on my tummy. I really want to do away with that.  Perhaps the forthcoming better weather will treat me more kindly migraine-wise.  I hope so.

I want to thank all of you who are following my blog. I'm honoured that anyone is reading this, especially such wonderful people..

I'm really behind on reading the blogs that I myself am following.  I'll have to catch up when my eyes stop playing tricks on me.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week.  Talk to you tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. I have no desire to get involved in Twitter. Facebook is enough for me. That and reading blogs. I hope you get to the point where you'll be able to exercise without migraines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at Twitter myself (and somehow clicked on something that sent out invites to all on my address book) and didn't like it at all. In fact, my thoughts were exactly as you've expressed here. That said, I don't like Facebook either! LOL So I just blog. I think that like you, my problem isn't what I eat as much as it is the fact that I am too sedentary. I get headaches too, though not even close to your frequency. What mostly slows me down is a complete lack of energy and extremely achy bones and joints, aches and pains...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm only 28 and I don't get the appeal of Twitter either!

    Part of me wants to say that it is a result of a lot of kids being raised to be really self-absorbed, so now they think they need to do a reality-tv-like "check in" with everyone all the time. But no one cares as much about what you're doing as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm glad I'm not alone in not getting the whole Twitter thing. I liked hearing all of your thoughts on it. Now I just need to hear someone tell me the other side of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was getting Twitter updates from my kids so I could keep better track of them, but my one son twitters 24-hours a day it seems and it got too much. This is the kid that won't talk much in person but he twitts the most amazing thoughts and observances. I re-subscribe to him from time to time. And our local Severe Weather service twitts weather warnings so I subscribe to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just Amy, now keeping track of your kids is a good thing. That I can understand. My kids don't use Twitter though, and they're young adults now anyway. They can always text or call.

    I also think the weather warnings is a good idea too.

    Nice to hear some positives about Twitter. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you.