Saturday, May 29, 2010

Sometimes You Do What You Have To Do

I’ve been reading articles and topic threads for a long time, and the consensus seems to be that it’s optimal to stretch out the time between washing one’s hair to as long as possible.  Some long-haired people go four, five days, or even a full week or more between washings.

Some of these people do rinse their hair with water only every few days.  This is not for me.

While I do try to do the best I can for my hair, I’ve only been able to go from daily washing to every other day.

I did wash daily for years, and it took a bit of adjustment to go every second day, but I can’t seem to go beyond that.  On Day 3 after wash day, I can only go without washing if I know I won’t be going anywhere.

I do know that many women my age have less production of the sebaceous glands in their skin in general and on their scalp. I am not one of those women.  My facial skin still produces a lot of oil, and so does my scalp. Even trying to brush my hair with a boar bristle brush, as is often suggested, is not enough to prevent my scalp hair and beyond from looking very oily by the third day after a wash.

Additionally, with my hair so fine and straight, there is no hairstyle, updo or braid that can hide that. I don’t see any practical way around this.

So I do wash my hair every other day. I have changed my habits, such as using conditioner to wash my hair, and I’ve made a lot of other changes in the handling of my hair, but I really don’t see a time in the near future in which I will be able to go regularly for more than two days between washes.

I don’t let it bother me.  I have to do what works for me and what is practical in my life. Sometimes that just means not following the best advice.

So it’s good to remember that while there’s a world of hair care advice out there, sometimes you just have to find your own way, and be good with that.

4 comments:

  1. This is why I love you FannyG! I am exactly the same in terms of washing my hair. I have tried to stretch it out to washing it every second day and now it's winter in Sydney, I've been wearing a beanie to avoid washing it. However, unless I'm sitting at home and not going out anywhere, I have to definitely wash it on the third day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. I can think of a great many things that are much more harmful to hair than frequent washing. I think the advice about infrequent washing can be chalked up to the fact that until recently, people had a very limited number of haircare products to choose from. Most people still washed their hair with soap (alkali, very bad on a daily basis). In my own childhood, it was nothing short of revolutionary to find a gentle shampoo for dry hair. (Dry hair is not the same as dry scalp!) The stuff people put on their scalps in the 1970s-1980s is not the same stuff people use today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wash mine every other day too. I just can't tolerate it any longer than that. My hair is dry but my scalp is not. The CWC routine works the best for me even with short hair.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you.