Monday, August 9, 2010

Never Give Up

I was inspired by a comment on yesterday's entry to write about not giving up on learning a new hairstyle, especially if it's one you really want to do.

I know that myself, I have had to practice, practice and practice some more before I could master most hairstyles. I am likely the least dexterous person I know, but I have managed somehow to learn how to do 5 strand braids, crown braids and other styles that were extremely difficult for me to learn.

The secret is twofold. First of all, practice doing the hairstyle only until you start to become frustrated. Once you're frustrated, no good will come out of it. Call it a day until tomorrow. Tomorrow you practice again. Stop immediately upon frustration. Just keep practicing every day, and I assure you, any of you that you will be able to do it. You might find a new fingering method that will work. You might find that a certain style doesn't work on freshly washed hair but might work on day 2 or day 3 after a wash.

If I had given up on every hairstyle that I failed at the first 30 times, I would still only have a ponytail and a single 3 strand braid in my hairstyle arsenal.


Just don't give up. There is such a sense of achievement when one finally masters a hairstyle. It's worth it.

Now on to another subject. AutumnLeaves, now that you've described the hair accessory, I think you might mean a Banana Clip. Does it look like this?  If so, I found that particular photo on this page that describes many different hair accessories. I used to use a banana clip when I wore my hair curly.  I loved it. They were very popular in the '80s and they're popular again now. I really hope this is the type of clip you meant; otherwise, I'm stumped.

Well, it's thunderstorming here, and I am so wishing that this will mark some less hot and humid weather for a few days. Sometimes the weather is so different after a good thunderstorm. I could really use a break from the hot, the hazy and the humid.  I think I have PMS right now, but unlike years gone by, I can't rely on the calendar anymore to predict the timing. I find this a bother, because I no longer know whether it's just hormones or if I'm going crazy, and I'm starting to really look forward to the day when I don't have to worry about PMS anymore.

I hope the week is starting off well for everyone, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.  Love to all.

5 comments:

  1. Wish we had a thunderstorm going on right now. The cracks in the ground are getting huge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree more. I am terrible at straightening my hair, but I keep at it because it's the only way I'll get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Franny,
    Wanted to thank you for this post & the words of wisdom, sound advice. Yes, I really get frustrated trying new updos. Long boring story short, exactly the reason I cut my 23" hair last summer! Needless to say it was a huge mistake!

    Stay "cool" I for one can't wait until this summer is over, it's "hot" here in Denver.

    Regards,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's just go crazy together, friend! LOL Nope, I know what banana clips are...It looks like a comb. Just slightly curved to the shape of the head.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you.