Monday, August 30, 2010

Spa Night For Mumma

Yep, tonight the boys are heading out and I'm going to have a spa night of sorts. Right now I'm sitting here with a head full of coconut oil in preparation to touch up my roots. I even massage the coconut oil into my scalp, as I find it makes the hair colour feel more comfortable for the time that it's on my head.

This will be the first time in over two years that I use non-cone conditioner after colouring. I plan to use a mixture of colour-safe non-cone conditioner and honey. Of course I will be microwaving the honey first, because as I've mentioned before, honey can and will lighten fresh hair dye unless it's microwaved. Microwaving the honey destroys the enzymes that allow it to lighten both dyed and natural hair.

I'll then be rinsing with a pitcher of a mild apple cider vinegar rinse. I can't wait to see how my hair feels.

I've made it clear that I have nothing against using cones, in fact they saved me during this time of growing out damage, but I really do like to feel my hair's natural texture, and it's not the same when using cones.

I hope it works okay. If there are too many tangles I'll just have to do a final conditioning with cones. I'm pretty sure that it will no longer be a problem.

I'm also going to do a few other girly things like pumice my feet and some other spa-like things that I haven't done in a while.

After that, some meditation and a movie is on the docket. Sometimes it's nice to devote an evening to oneself, physically, spiritually and mentally, and I'm looking forward to it.

AutumnLeaves, if you are considering colouring your hair, I don't know about this "staining" idea. I've yet to try any kind of hair colour other than permanent dye that covers stubborn grey.  Perhaps at a salon they have such products, but who can afford to go to a salon for every touch-up?

Since you did ask for ideas, I might suggest that if the time comes that you are going to use dye, consider splitting the difference between your salt and your pepper and use a shade of colour one or two shades lighter than your original natural colour. A cosmetician at a good pharmacy could help you with that if you feel you need it.

A lot of women find that a shade or two lighter is more flattering at our age than a darker colour--our skin's tone changes. Also the roots won't show as starkly as if you were to use a darker colour. It would be essential to stay in the same shade family, such as warm or cool. Of course, you may hate this idea, but it is a strategy that might work if you do decide to take the plunge. I still think you look lovely with your natural colour, but I would be a hypocrite if I didn't say how much I still love having a colour I love around my face.

Well, I am feeling a bit better yet than I did yesterday, so I think I'll finally be saying buh-bye to this latest bout of migraine/cluster headache.  Won't be sorry to see it go.

It's another beast of a day outside. The heat index/humidex as I type this is 40C/104F. I am so glad that I don't live down in the city. I'm sure the air is not too lung-friendly down there. Well, I do live in the city, but in this particular city, we call where I live "on the mountain" and the  area below the escarpment is called "in the city".

I'm off now to continue marinating in coconut oil for about a half hour and then the boys will head out and I will start with touching up my roots. Woo-hoo!

'Til tomorrow, my friends. Much love to all, and extra hugs to anyone hurting from a loss today.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like life is good and so good to know you had some relief from the head too. I still haven't decided what to do with my hair. It just simply looks awful, well and truly. I think in large part why I'm contemplating the color is to help the texture. I don't know any more Franny. My hair defies every single stylist I've ever been to, no lie. I get a rare good hair day but it is truly the exception. I don't know what to do with the mess.

    I love coconut oil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the headache is clearing up. The spa night sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you.