Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Off-Topic Tuesday: Feeling Geeky Today and Movies

Well, I'm feeling just a little bit better today, and it's just as well, because I have a big riddle to solve.

Something is wrong with my son's operating system on his laptop, and I am busy doing some sleuthing to figure out exactly what the problem is and how to fix it.

I am itching to reformat and reinstall the operating system, but I know that it will take quite a bit of time, and I don't honestly know how my son will deal with not having access to his laptop for about a day. So I'm busily trying to figure it all out while he's out this evening. I have to admit, sleuthing computer problems always appeals to my geeky side.

I know that for some people it's a pain, but I actually enjoy the process of reformatting a computer and doing a clean install. I really am a geek.

I finally saw Inglourious Basterds, and I really liked it. I was afraid that it might not live up to the hype, so I had low expectations. While there was a fair amount of violence, it was quite riveting, extremely funny at times, and quite an interesting concept.

I suspect that I will watch it again.

I have also watched some movies from the '40s recently that I haven't seen for a while.  What I find interesting about movies from the 40's and 50's is that many of the actresses play ingenue roles, and sexy siren roles and then they hit their late thirties and suddenly they cut their hair and are relegated to "mom" roles. There are very few exceptions. If they're not playing mom roles, then they are playing women who are bitterly fighting their faded youth. Vivien Leigh's last few movies are like that. Almost all of her later roles are of a pathetic older woman who are trying in vain to recapture their youth, or resorting to consorting with gigolos.

Thank heaven that thanks to the likes of Meryl Streep, we are seeing some good, meaty roles for older women, including romantic comedies. Approaching the age of sixty, Meryl Streep was downright sexy in both  Mamma Mia and more recently, It's Complicated, which I really adored. Romantic comedies with older women are rare, and it's good to see.

I said I would respond to comments today, but I'm itching to get back to the geeky fun of trying to fix my son's computer, so I'll let that go for today. I do so appreciate all of your comments, even though my responses are sporadic. I especially appreciate the get well wishes. It's been a rough several days.

'Til tomorrow, my friends. Much love to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I think we all have a bit of the inner geek. LOL You have fun, Franny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to me that the movies these days have better parts for older women than they used too.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you.