Thursday, October 14, 2010

If The Odour Of Apple Cider Vinegar Bothers You

A lot of people like the results of an ACV rinse, but do not like the vinegar odour that is left in their hair. 

I think that some people use too high of a concentration of vinegar to water, and that's often the problem However, some people find that they are bothered by the odour of ACV long after their hair has dried, even when using a weaker mix.

If for some reason I feel the need to use a heavier than usual mixture of ACV to water, I have found a way to nullify that vinegar scent.

I've mentioned before that I use about 4 or 5 tablespoons of AVC to a 2 litre pitcher of water as a final rinse after every CO. With that dilution,  there is no lingering scent, at least not for me. But sometimes I use a heavier dilution, especially  if I've just clarified my hair and I really feel the need to make sure that I do all I can to close the cuticle and counteract the negative effects of clarifying.

What I do is put the vinegar in my pitcher first, and to mask any potential vinegary odour, I have found that essential oils are very effective. My personal favourite essential oil for this purpose is lavender oil. Not only is lavender oil fairly inexpensive compared with other essential oils, but it is extremely hair and skin friendly, and has a clean, green fragrance. I might add 5-10 drops of the lavender oil to the ACV in the pitcher, depending on what I think is necessary and then add the water.

When I do that, I never smell the vinegar, even when my hair is still wet.

Another thing you might try is using white vinegar. A lot of people find that white vinegar has less of a lingering odour. Also, remember that if you have very pale blonde or silver hair, you are better off using white vinegar anyway, as ACV can deposit a slight golden cast to pale hair.

I really like essential oils and I often add them to other products, like conditioners, if I find their fragrances unpleasant.


Well, it rained all night and most of the day here today. I kind of like rainy days when I don't have to go out, because they are peaceful and somehow relaxing.

I'm afraid that I woke up far too early again this morning, so I'm still feeling very tired. Does anyone have any tips on preventing early morning waking? I don't have any trouble falling asleep; I'm just not sleeping through the night.

My hair is feeling more like itself today, after this morning's CO.

Right now I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas, just waiting for the day when I can post that I've reached BSL. I am really champing at the bit to be able to do some of the styles I used to do when my hair was longer, but that will take a few months I guess. Patience, again.


In my new movie blog, I discussed Don Juan DeMarco, with Johnny Depp today. If you've seen it and would like to add comments, or if you haven't seen it and are curious about it, please check it out.


I can't believe that it's already going to be Friday tomorrow. Where did the week go?

'Til tomorrow, my friends. Much love to all.
xo

4 comments:

  1. I've tried white vinegar, a very small amount in a lot of water and still smelled vinegar throughout the day. Good advice about the oils, worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post. I will visit your blog regularly for Some latest post. gymnastics quotes

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article. attitude

    ReplyDelete
  4. Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer!.. forearm stand

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you.