Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My Hair Is Starting To Look Long--Even To Me!

I don't know what made Monday different than the day before, but for some reason, I looked in the mirror and for the first time in a very long time, I thought to myself, "My hair is really getting long".

Somehow there seems to be a magic length when my hair goes from looking like sort-of-long hair to looking like my idea of long hair. I don't know what it is about this length, but I remember from the past times of getting to this stage of my growth that I had these realizations at just about this time.

It's really quite nice to suddenly be able to see with my own eyes the progress that I've been making, without comparison photos or a measuring tape.

Perhaps there will be another stage in the coming year when I will have yet another epiphany, and see that my hair is looking really long.

Oddly, or perhaps not, my husband said yesterday that my hair was looking very long. I hadn't said anything to him about my hair, which tells me it's not just me who sees the difference.

So here I am at another mini-milestone. While I still have many goals ahead of me, I am finally actually able to see that my hair is getting to where I want to go.

It's a great feeling.

I know that to some longhairs, my hair is still considered relatively short, but in the real world, my hair is actually quite long, not only for women my age, but even the teens and young women that I see. I doubt that I'll ever be able to achieve the extreme lengths that some women do.

I'm getting excited again thinking about just where I might be a year from now.

I know that I have to have my regular trims or else I'll have to have an actual cut. This much I know from my past experience. However, the amount I'll be trimming will be far outweighed by how much my hair will be growing. I still think that I may maintain at just an inch or so past waist length for a while to allow my thinner ends to catch up with my new growth, but I'm not going to etch that in stone.

So, it's a good hair day for me. Yay!

'Til tomorrow, my friends. Much love to all.

6 comments:

  1. Yay indeed!! I'm so happy for you. I think perception can be even more accurate than the tape measure when it comes to hair length.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on reaching a milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great feeling when you can see it is getting longer. I agree with Agnes that perception is more accurate than the measuring tape. I can feel and see my hair is getting longer but sometimes it stays the same measurement for months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! That's one of the best revelations when it comes to growing hair - when you think of your hair as long. And yours certainly is, not only in the real world ;) I hope you're enjoying your beautiful mane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's indeed a wonderful feeling and I'm glad you're having it. I, too, have waited ages to get to my BSL, this being the greatest length I've ever had since I was 4 and my mom trimmed all my hair boy-short... And your hair looks just beautiful in the pictures with the new half-updo, so shiny and healthy! You are fortunate that your hair grows so fast. I think if mine went just a bit slower, it would get shorter and not longer.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you.