Sunday, October 3, 2010

Lack of Sleep, PMS and Damaged Hair Don't Mix

Sunday evening already! Where did the weekend go? It was rainy all morning and cloudy and cool all day. Today was the very first time that the house was just a touch chilly when I woke up. Not chilly enough to put on the heat, but chillier than I've been used to.

I slept a bit longer last night--until 4:58 a.m. That was just not enough to make up for my sleep deficit, and I have PMS. Not a good combination.

I did that lovely deep coconut oiling yesterday, with wonderful results. I love that the oil can be washed out with conditioner. It never ceases to amaze me how well conditioner cleans hair. In any case, my hair feels soft and lovely.

However. I have to admit that I've been obsessing again today about my thin, damaged ends. I honestly don't know how bad it looks to any of you, but I can tell you that I can really feel it.

When I pull my hair into a ponytail and slide my hand down, there is not a gradual taper. There is a very abrupt point where the hair palpably gets thinner.

I swear if it weren't for you all who read this, I may have given in to temptation and chopped off enough hair today to get rid of those last few thin inches.

I am so fortunate to be accountable to you who read my words, as well as to my family. It makes giving in to hormonal whims more difficult.

So, crisis has been averted, and I won't chop. But I have to admit to you that I wanted to.

Finding that balance between cutting out damage and still allowing my hair to grow is very difficult at times, and today was particularly hard.

I just have to remember that I cannot expect perfection. No one is perfect and my hair doesn't have to be perfect either.

Thank you all who read my blog. You all help me more than you'll ever know.

I hope that you all had a great weekend, and I wish you a happy week ahead.

Love to all. 'Til tomorrow, my friends.
xo

3 comments:

  1. I really understand your frustration. I have days when I want to chop right back to shoulder to get rid of my layers and damaged ends for good.

    Just remember, we are our own worst critics when it comes to our hair. Your hair is gorgeous! It's a beautiful color, and many people would kill to have such naturally straight, shiny hair. Even to someone who knows a lot about hair, yours looks very healthy and well-cared for. One day, those ends will be gone. Until then, try not to let them ruin the fun of having long hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you were able to resist the chop. I think you would have regretted it. PMS is not a good time to make any big decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay strong! Your hair is beautiful and it gets more beautiful every day

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you.